The Department of Chemistry emerged during the establishment of the Chemical Engineering education process in Istanbul Technical University. The Chemical Engineering education started as a 4-year bachelor degree programme in 1958 on the,as it was then called, ITU Technical School, Chemistry Branch, and gave its first graduates with the honorific title of Chemical Engineer in 1962.
This branch founded by Prof. Dr. Nami Serdaroğlu, was converted in 1973 into the Chemical Engineering Department established as a subdivision attached to the ITU Faculty of Engineering and Architecture (ITU-MMF). While, the Faculty of Chemistry emerged in 1963 with the law issue 333 and was established on the Maçka campus as the 6th Faculty of ITU.
The Faculty of Chemistry was then consisted of 6 chairs: Analytical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Industrial Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Basics.
A mid 1963 and 1969, a 5-year program equivalent to a master's degree was implemented in the Chemical Engineering.Subsequently in 1969, a dual system consisting of a 4-year undergraduate and a 2-year graduate program has been substituted.
In 1982, the Department of Analytical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry and related divisions of the ITU MMF Chemical Engineering Department were merged to create the Department of Chemistry established in the a fresh Natural Sciences building on the Ayazağa Campus, which is nowadays retitled as the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
Department's web site: Chemistry